Friday, April 23, 2010

Mama's Boy?

I have two boys. When I was pregnant with B, my first son, I was told "Oh boys are so wonderful! Your boy is going to be YOUR boy... boys LOVE their Mamas!"

While I know my almost-2 year old loves me, he is really attached to his daddy. He is a full-blown Daddy's boy, not a Mama's boy.

Don't misunderstand me... I am so glad that they have a special bond. There is nothing more wonderful than seeing your husband and your son love each other so much. But I gotta say, when he bumps his head and runs away from me to his Daddy, it kinda hurts my heart a little bit. I am here with him every day, all day long, caring for his every need. Yet, he thinks his Daddy is the better candidate to soothe his woes.

Sigh.

And he doesn't care when I leave him. I guess I should be thankful we don't have to deal with separation anxiety. But I am sure mothers who experience separation anxiety in their children secretly love feeling so loved and needed and irreplaceable. No?

I will treasure this time right now that I am nursing my 2 month old. He needs me. He cries, and only I can soothe him. I now am going to soak in this time breastfeeding that much more.

A mama needs to feel needed.

I am afraid that from here on out, I am going to be the odd (wo)man out in the family. I can see it now... my future holds Daddy wrestling, playing ball, getting muddy, etc. with my boys while Mama watches. Sigh.

Anyone else been through this with their children? Or do your children have separation anxiety when you have to be apart from them, even when they are with their Daddy?