Wednesday, January 2, 2013

you are worthy {the anti-resolution post}

I hate when people comment on other people's weight.

The Good. Bad. Ugly. I hate it all.

No matter what you have to say about my weight, or someone else's weight, saying it out loud send's a negative message to me. It puts me in a mini-rage. Okay, not really. But it disappoints and saddens my heart. And I'll tell you why.

To me, it says, "Your outward appearance is of utmost importance." It focuses on vanity.

"Turn away my eyes from looking at vanity,
And revive me in Your ways."
-Psalm 119: 37


Sure, I have gained weight. Would I like to lose weight? Yes. Would I feel more attractive in jeans if I lost 20 pounds? Sure. Do I define my self-worth based on my pants size? No. Do I let my weight, a number, tell me whether I am worthy to be loved? No. Do I want other people to notice me based on my weight loss, weight gain, pant size, or other ridiculous outward insignificance? No.

I think our culture is sick. We are so harsh on ourselves. We as moms have such high expectations put on us by this society. We are expected to work and bring home a paycheck, keep a Better-Homes-and-Garden-worthy house, make Pinterest-worthy crafts with our kids, make gourmet meals to impress the masses, host facebook-brag-worthy holiday parties, all while maintaining a Heidi Klum figure, and being infinitely energetic to be a perfect wife to our husbands.

Did that sentence make you exhausted, too?

Whew.

Ladies, goals are good things to have. If you want to be healthier, wonderful! Be healthy. For you. So that you may have energy to do God's will and God's work! Not to achieve some ridiculous ideal of perfection. Because you are worth so much more than some silly number. You are precious, my friend.


"For it was you who formed my inward parts;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
    Wonderful are your works;
that I know very well."
-Psalm 139: 13-14
-