Thursday, December 12, 2013

Noah's Birth Story

Noah's birth story is a little bit hard to begin, because I began having contractions probably 2 weeks before his due date (he was due December 6th). I had contractions several sporadic nights, and thought "this is it." And everyone says that with your 3rd baby, things will most definitely move quickly. So I was extra vigilant and excitable with the contractions. I did not want to have my baby at home (home birth is NOT for me).

Keep in mind, my other 2 sons were born after their due dates. So, I naturally expected this little man to come after Dec. 6th. (In fact, my guess was Dec. 12th.)

I was also worried about what to do if I needed to get the hospital quickly in the middle of the night. We do not have local family and not really anyone to call and say, "Hey, can you come over here ... at 2am... and sit in our house while our kids are sleeping while we go to the hospital to have a baby?" So with the night time contractions, in the weeks prior to his due date, I was anxious with each contraction. Because they were real contractions, I was convinced they were "doing something" and progressing me towards having my sweet little baby.

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Fast forward a week or so. Thanksgiving arrives. Thanksgiving was 8 days before my due date. We could not travel to see family, and being so pregnant, I was not wanting to host a meal at my home, either. So we opted to have an "easy" Thanksgiving and make reservations at a local restaurant, and have my family come up to spend the day with us. We had 2pm reservations, and as we were loading up the car to get to the restaurant, the contractions started back up. (I told my brother and family that I started having contractions, and my older brother's response was, "That's greeeaaaat. Tell me more about your vagina." Haha!)  At this point, the contractions were uncomfortable and irritating. I had had enough of these false alarms. Contractions did not let up all day and into the evening. My family left to return home (they live about 1.5 hours away from us), and I said something to the effect of, "You guys might have to turn around and come back up if these contractions don't stop." (My mom and dad were planning on coming up to take care of the kids for a couple of days when it was hospital time.) 

I texted my mom that evening that the contractions were every 5 minutes apart or so, and that maybe they should come up now, because "I think this is it." Friday, they had off work, so it turned out to be a good time to come up. 

Friday, November 29, 2013

In the wee hours of Friday morning, I called the doctor (at the hospital) to see if I should come in, because contractions were definitely close together. They just weren't very hard yet. I felt as if things were progressing. I went into Labor and Delivery Friday at around 1am to get checked out. No dilation. Definitely regular contractions (between every 2-7 minutes), just no dilation. We were sent home to wait more. 

Friday morning, I had a doctor's appointment at 11am. I was 1-2 cm dilated. I was again sent home to wait.

Contractions continued all day Friday...

Saturday, November 30, 2013

...And all day Saturday...

I was becoming very discouraged. My parents were able to still stay with us, seeing as how it was the weekend, but I was growing more and more anxious as the weekend was ticking away, and I knew if baby didn't come out soon, my parents would soon have to go back home.

We tried to carry on a nice visit. We settled in to watch a movie (Family Man) Saturday evening. We didn't get very far into it before I announced to the room, "MY WATER JUST BROKE!" as I was laying on the couch! My mom, dad, and husband all stood up out of their seats and just stared at me, frozen! Keith was freaking out a little bit... My water never broke before with my other 2 (the docs had to break my water with them at the hospital)... so we were all super shocked and excited. 

I was so relieved to finally know that I had to go to the hospital. THIS WAS IT. Finally! They wouldn't make me go home and wait it out this time! 

Keith and I arrived at the hospital somewhere around 10pm Saturday night. Just before 11pm, I was checked and I was only 3cm dilated and about 75% effaced. After all those days of labor, I was still only 3 cm dilated! I was very frustrated, but I knew I would have the baby and they wouldn't make me go home now that my water broke, so I was comforted in that. 

They started my IV for fluids and for my antibiotics (I was GBS positive). Can I tell you that this was probably the most painful part of my labor and delivery?! They couldn't find a good vein to get my IV going in. They had to put it in the bony part of my wrist! It hurt so bad. But what was even worse? The penicillin going into my arm. She warned me it was going to "burn" and would be "uncomfortable" because they needed to give me a large bolus dose at first. But she didn't tell me it was going to feel like my arm was literally being burned off without anesthesia. I think I sort of yelled at the nurse to make it stop. I swear it was the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. She slowed down the IV a little bit and it helped a little bit, but man, it HURT. I had IV antibiotics with my 2nd son during labor, and it did NOT hurt! 

Sunday, December 1, 2013

I can't remember the exact timeline of how things happened throughout the early morning hours.

I remember after a couple of hours of no progression, they wanted to start Pitocin, a low dose. I was okay with this, seeing as how I had been in labor for days already, and my water broke naturally, and I still wasn't progressing. My body had had quite a lot of time to get things moving on its own, and it was obvious to me that my body needed a little help.

And not long after I started Pitocin, I requested the epidural. My nurse said they may not let me have the epidural yet, seeing as how I was only 3 cm still. But I was persistent and told the nurse that I needed pain management of some sort. She suggested possibly trying some Stadol in the meantime. But when the doc came in to check on me, she said the epidural was fine. So I got the epidural, and I was very comfortable from that point forward. I am pretty sure I was practically hitting on the anesthesiologist, telling him how wonderful he was, and how awesome his job must be... to make women so happy.

After several hours of Pitocin, and slowly increasing the dosage, I remember the nurses coming in several times saying things like, "I'm not loving how baby is responding to the Pitocin," and "his heartrate is dropping a little with the contractions so we are going to hold off on increasing the Pitocin." Of course, throughout the early morning hours, I was trying to doze off a little bit so that I would have energy for pushing. So the timeline is a little foggy. 

The doc and nurses thought I would start pushing soon around 6:30am, because I was progressing with the Pitocin. Around 7:30am, I was still only 7cm dilated. They were still concerned about the baby's oxygen and heart rate level. They had me put on an oxygen mask and try different positions to get better oxygen flow to the baby.

Soon after this, I was progressing quickly and dilated fully. I felt the urge to push and Noah James arrived on this earth at 8:28am, after just 3 contractions of pushing!

He came out with the cord around his neck.

He didn't cry when he came out. I was immediately asking why he wasn't crying and if he was okay. And he was! He just chose not to wail when he came out! He was perfectly healthy and wide-eyed!

The doctor said it was a good thing he came out in just 3 contractions because he may not have tolerated a lot of pushing, with the cord around his neck. I was very thankful he came out quickly, too. The labor had been long enough!

Tears of JOY! 

Noah James
Born Sunday, December 1, 2013
7 lbs 9 oz. 

He latched onto the breast right away, and has nursed beautifully since. He is an angel, and he is very loved by his 2 big brothers! 

I am so blessed to have 3 healthy boys!